In the early 1950’s, the Franciscan Friars of Holy Name Province and the parishioners of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church decided to start a school for the African-American children of the parish as well as any other interested families of the neighborhood. St. Anthony of Padua School was opened in a renovated house on Douthit Street on September 8, 1951. Serving as both a convent and school, the facility was staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis of Stella Niagara, New York.
In 1956, a modern brick school building was completed with an enrollment of 153 children in grades K-8. From 1968-1971, the school was reduced to Grades K-1 in order that integration might be achieved in the other Catholic schools in Greenville. St. Anthony’s grades 2-8 were sent to St. Mary’s and Our Lady of the Rosary schools, and their first graders attended St. Anthony’s.
In September of 1972, the Adrian Dominican Sisters of Adrian, MI, took over the care of the school and remained for 10 years. Enrollment fluctuated during an interim of four years before the Sisters of St. Francis of Buffalo, NY, became the staff to the school.
In 2013, thanks to a community of generous hearts, a new 26,000-square-foot, two-story school was built. It houses K3-6th grade, as well as a music/resource room, art room, library, chapel, cafeteria and gym. At present, the school consists of Pre-K through Grade 6. Te school is staffed by an outstanding faculty committed to serving a multicultural community as an integral part of the Parish of St. Anthony of Padua.